Tuesday, February 06, 2007

February 6, 2007
Email exchanges I had with the President of the
American Arab Antidiscrimination Committee
(ADC) this week:

Thanks for your efforts Nabil. I will continue to pursue the idea of a lawsuit. I've appealed to my Congressman and he's done nothing. I no longer attempt to appeal to the press. They're all lackeys for the Israelis.

If you have any other ideas or think of someone who might help me please contact me.

Aren’t there international laws broken here? Since when does an occupying power have
the right to steal the real estate of the residents of the land it is occupying? Why is only Israeli law considered here?

-Bronwin


--- Nabil Mohamad wrote:

> Dear Bronwin,
>
> After consulting with our Legal Department, they
said that this isn't a case ADC can get involved in.
Anything that has to
> do with land ownership > in the Occupied Territories
would fall squarely > under Israeli law, and we
> simply do not have the resources to take on a case
> like that. Also, that doesn't really fall within
the scope of what ADC does, since our casework
> concerns US law.
>
> You probably would need to contact a local lawyer in
> the West Bank who has a better sense of what legal
action can be taken to reclaim land. One of
> the human rights NGOs on the ground there may have a
> better idea of what can be done. Let me know if you
need other > suggestions of names and entities who
may be able to address this particular issue.
>
>
> Take care,
> Nabil
>
>
>
>
> At 03:47 PM 2/3/2007, you wrote:
> >Dear Nabil,
> >
>Thank you for these invitations. I won't be able to
>attend the Peace Cafe event. I would like to attend
the event on Wednesday.
> >
> I'm wondering if there are grounds for those of us
> who are not allowed into the West Bank to sue the
> government of Israel. I would think so if real
> estate is involved. I inherited a small house and
some land from my husband last year. It is
located in a small village outside Bier Zeit.
Twenty years ago the Israelis confiscated 700 dunums
of the family's land nearby and have built a settlement
on it.
> >
> >A friend of mine in Ramallah, an American woman,
> who has lived there for close to ten years and is
> having trouble renewing her VISA, told me there
is a law that makes it illegal to confiscate
land belonging to Americans. Do any of your attorneys
know anything about that? I've been trying to find the
details since I heard about it. I would be
willing to sue to return to my house.
I had hoped to spend six months of the year at that
little house in semiretirement. Which of your attorneys
should I speak with about this?
> >
I spoke by phone to Abu Rizik today. He has
> been moved from ICU and was very tired but apparently
> >recovering from his surgery.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Bronwin Peel
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >--- Nabil Mohamad wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > The Washington Interfaith Alliance for Middle
> East
Ø > > Peace (WIAMEP) Invites you to attend a party
Ø with a purpose! Join us in an educational and
Ø fundraising party to support the work of the
> > > Israeli Committee against House Demolitions
Ø (ICAHD). ICAHD is a non-violent, direct action
Ø group opposed to Israel’s demolition of
> > > Palestinian homes in the Occupied Territories.
> > > ICAHD has been rebuilding
> > > the demolished homes of Palestinians for over
> eightyears and educating
> > > people about the long-term implications of house
> > > demolitions on prospects
> > > for a just peace in the region.
> > >
> > >> > > We will watch a short film, Resisting the
> > > Occupation: On the Ground, enjoy
> > > the Iron Sheik perform, network and nibble on
> > > refreshments.
> > >
> > >
> > > February 3, 2007 @ 4:00 ­ 6:00 pm
> > >
> > > Busboys and Poets
> > > 2021 14th Street, NW
> > > Washington, DC

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home